Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Emulation

Galatians 5:19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The 1828 Unabridged dictionary defines emulation as:  
EMULA''TION, n. 1. The act of attempting to equal or excel in qualities or actions; rivalry;
2. Contest; contention; strife; competition; rivalry accompanied with a desire of depressing another.

We have always discouraged our children from partaking in any childhood game where there is a "winner."  I was watching my children play a few years ago, when one of my older children decided to go ahead and "race."  This child had decided in their heart that as long as they gave away the prize, it would be ok, it was "just for fun" (as others often say)  Of course, the Lord allowed my child to "win" and sure enough, the prize was given away by the child to another child.  I happened to see the face of an older child that participated in the race and didn't win.  That child had a look of defeat on their face.  The next game played was a dodge ball type of game.  Who do you suppose the adult gave the ball to in order to start the game.  It was none other than the child that lost the race to my child. Need I even ask who that child chased down and threw the ball as hard as she could at?  Yes, it was at my child.  It was a beautiful teaching example of how anytime you choose to participate in any type of competition where there is a winner and loser, there will be a "loser."  The only thing we should desire to emulate is the Spirit of Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment